Monday, July 21, 2014

Salinity Probe



Salinity Probe

The Device I am working with is a salinity probe that is used by the lab to measure how much salt is in the water.  The probe first calculates the output current from the device using a known resistance and voltage measurement.  Since V=IR, once the voltage drop is received, the current can be easily determined.  In addition to the initial voltage reading the probe must
do three other voltage readings, one to measure the final voltage and two in the middle to measure the voltage drop across the water.  Because the water is a conductor, the resistance in the water can be determined based on the voltage drop.   This resistance is then calibrated to the salinity of the water taking into account the temperature and area of the nodes on the probe.  (Picture of the probe below)



My Goal in this project is to write a program that extracts and records data from a salinity probe so that it can be mounted on a different device.  Currently the program is run through a different system, using a different programing language.  Making the device run using the Arduino’s language would make it compatible with other measurement tools created by the lab. (Picture of the test probe below)




Last week I have made great progress in achieving my goal.  The first step was to disconnect probe from its original home (image below) and put new connectors on the existing device.  I was able to do this by soldering new connections onto the wires so that I the pins were compatible with a breadboard.  



I have also been working on writing the program so that I can run some tests and have connected all necessary pieces to the breadboard and Arduino chip.  (Image below)


Well.. I better get back to work!




5 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are making progress wit this. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the title fast and thought it said Sanity Probe.
    Ha!
    Keep up the salty work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a Sanity Probe would me a bit more complicated.

      Delete

  3. The information which you have provided is really nice and awesome. Provides some very useful insights of how things actually work. I want to share something more about this as well.

    mattress

    ReplyDelete