Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Welcome to JCU

Katelin and I arrived at JCU in the dark on July 2. We both woke up at 4 am on July 3 and stayed in bed until 6 am. (We are in separate rooms, but oddly seem to be on the same sleep schedule!) I went out around 6:30 am and watched the sunrise. I was greeted by a cacophony of screeches and chirps. I attempted to capture some of the wild bird calls with my camera as you will see in the following video. You will also notice Mt. Stuart in the background, and some of the lovely hills that ring JCU campus.




Our dorm room is on the third floor of this building:



The campus architecture is mostly cinderblock construction, with lots of palm trees and covered walkways. In Australia it is common to find the indoors and outdoors mixed. Buildings may have open walkways through them, open out into the outdoors. Stairs and walkways are frequently outside.
 
Here are some shots of campus:
 



 
 
That last building is a dorm, where each room has a veranda, and many students have hammocks! I wish our room had a private veranda and hammock!
 
 
And everywhere you go, you see amazing birds. And hear them. Here are few of the common birds on campus:
 
Bush turkey:
 
 
Bush-turkey.
 

Bush turkeys are everywhere here. Very chill birds.
 
Below is the magpie-lark, also known as the peewee bird. Also very common here.
Magpie-lark.
 
These guys I see everywhere also... the bush-stone curlew. With those long legs it looks like a wader, but I only ever see it on land.
 
Bush-stone curlew.
 
Kookaburras are everywhere also!!! They will dive-bomb and take food right out of your hand, so you have to be careful when eating outside. Also they have a song that sounds like they are having a deep-belly laugh.
Kookaburra
Another bird that is about as common as the pigeon in New York is the lorikeet. They are considered a bit of a nuisance because they fly in large flocks and can be quite loud and annoying, and leave a lot of droppings in urban places. However, unlike the plain pigeon, the lorikeet is absolutely beautiful with a striking rainbow coloring. Here is a video I took of a bird on campus. You can also hear them crying in the background. (Much better video and pictures to come in our Maggie Island post.)
 
 
Cockatoos also fly in large flocks and are quite loud. I believe this is the bird that Jeff Wuebber described as waking him up every morning sounding like a baby being murdered. I tend to agree that the bird is quite obnoxious sounding, but they are a lovely sight. I haven't managed to get a good photo yet of one. But I will try to upload one soon.
 
Update: Cockatoo caught in action at Airlie Beach. See new picture below!
 
Cockatoo
 
Also, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that there are lots of wallabies on campus.
 

 
But getting good photos of them proves difficult. They are as common as deer, but usually run away when you approach. I'll try to upload some decent ones later.

Update! Wallabies captured in film on JCU campus! See pictures below:





Finally, Australia is full of things that can kill you, or at least frighten you. I don't know if it bites, but this gal lives outside my lab, and I am not willing to find out.


I believe this species is Nephila edulis. We found her male partner (much smaller) nearby. The spider is called edible golden orb spider. One of several frightening spiders I have encountered here. There are also ants, everywhere, including our bathroom sink. Many trees harbor a type of red ant with a green abdomen, called green tree ants. I watched an Australian man eat some when his young son offered them as a snack. I asked my lab mates about this and they said that the green abdomens are edible and taste lemony due to the formic acid. I will have to try this delicacy sometime, for the sake of science.



No comments:

Post a Comment